Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Missing Days Part 1

Its Christmas Eve and I intend to have my sleep. I wake up at 11a.m. I see my mum and dad is at home so I just walk pass them feeling sleepy. I sat in front of the TV watching Oprah. I had a very light lunch and was getting ready for Christmas Eve Midnight mass, I iron my shirt and my pants. I took a short nap again at 3 I know now u must be thinking he is such a lazy ass, well I actually am during holidays especially. I woke up at 6 and took a nice long hot shower. I shaved myself clean and had another light dinner and by 9-ish we were getting ready to go for mass. Kelvin to my surprise was at my house wanting to attend mass with me. I was so curious why he wanted to do so. He sat all through mass with me and my family. I am still curious on what made him come here for mass.

Mass was short and sweet it ended sharp 1 a.m. I’ve been in my church for mot of my life, I had my communion and my confirmation there but I can’t help feeling like an outsider these days when I go to St Josephs. There are no more faces I recognize anymore, nobody I know. After mass I only met Amit who was at the gates of the church smoking his cigarette, I wished him Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I left back home, Lenny called me along the way to wish me. Back home mum handed her presents out and I got a nice organizer for work, will definitely do me good once I get back to the office. Mum cut some fruit cake and we opened a bottle of wine, and everyone went to bed but stayed back to watch some late night TV.

Christmas morning, I woke up at 8 a.m. my bags were packed and I was ready to go but my parents were lagging behind, packing their stuff and checking their list twice. Lucky me I had all my presents sent ahead to grand mum’s place. The car booth was full of our 5 day stay over in Klang. We left home at 10.45 and we reached by 11.15 by then everyone was already there. Aunty Pat was in the kitchen cooking some sambal prawns. I and Aunty B went to a restaurant to collect some catered food. We ordered some chicken curry and fish cutlets. Kelvin came bringing the mutton paratal. Aunt Irene bought some Paul Mason wine.

Everyone sat down for lunch we had our meal and all. After lunch it was time to open presents… yippee By the way the tree was swamped with presents from all of us from my grandma to lil ol me. Imagine a 4 feet tree with the showdown covered by presents of another 4 feet. My grand mum began she with her family gifts and ang pow, then it was Prema, Aunt B, Annie, Kelvin, myself then Aunt Irene. I must say I got cash 2 types of perfume (CK Eternity and CDior) a funky cufflink that said ‘No Guts, No Glory’, a short sleeve shirt. Mitchell got me a pen holder which I don’t now where I’m going to put it. As we opened our presents I saw the joy in the faces of my family all happy with their gifts. Aunt Irene loved the jewelry box I gave her and Uncle David loved the architecture book I got him on Twin Towers.

We sat and we talked on all kind of stuff, while Aunt Irene spoke of how times used to be when they were growing up. It was soon tea time and Aunt Irene bought some Christmas pudding and some Caribbean cakes, both very delicious. The Caribbean cakes had some Rum in it so I was practically liquored the whole evening beginning from lunch to dinner with wine and rum cake... Hehehe

At night everyone left home except us and Aunt B as we had dinner and we continued drinking. My Dad made fuss on how important it was for us to go to church as it was compulsory as theoretically Christmas Eve mass dint count so I must honestly say everyone was pissed with my dad. He just can’t keep his mouth shut. I rebelled not wanting to go but of course I lost. We had to keep the celebration short as we needed to go to church early morning at Port Klang.

Me, Alex and Andrew slept at the hall while mum and dad too the spare room. It was so uncomfortable sleeping on the floor and you’re not comfortable with the pillows. I kept waking up every hour or so my back ache got worse that night. My dad woke us up at 6 to get ready for mass. I could see everyone else was awake I could have said no but I went along instead. Aunt B came by 6.30 and we were off to church by then. The mass was such a boring mass, the priest AV Michael was like not bothered like he had some more else better to be. He didn’t give a sermon he got some one to read the Herald (Catholic Newspaper) articles. I honestly felt a very slight tremor at the beginning of mass. I taught I was just woozy myself then Aunt B said she felt it as well. Mass was over by 8.30 not knowing what has happened in the world. We got breakfast in the market and headed home.

Back home Uncle David told us that Indonesia had an earthquake which created a tidal wave and hit Penang. At this point we had no idea how bad this had affected the whole South East Asia. My Aunt (other one) from UK called to check if we were all right. Penang and KL was such a far place but the news in UK said it as if the whole Malaysia was hit badly. As we watched the news on the TV we saw how bad the Tsunami hit the whole of SEA. My heart really goes out to the Sri Lankan’s I want to help them but I honestly don’t know how. Death came to them swiftly and I keep telling myself that life is so easy to lose it just could be around the corner. The Penang-nites who lost their life were actually out having fun with their friends or family.

The Tsunami was a hot conversation topic at the Windmill Restaurant where Aunt Irene and Uncle David took us out fro Boxing Day lunch. We discussed about the how high the waves were and the lives that were lost. Again my mind played on those innocent souls that were lost during that day. Mum always said that Death never comes with an invitation it just comes and leaves. You know what hurts about the Sri Lankan thing that hurts me is tat the building structure of where they stayed was nothing compared to what we had. They had no chance whatsoever.

After lunch we headed to grand mum place, I took a short nap as I didn’t really get proper sleep. I woke up all sweaty, Klang weather does that to you its so humid. I noticed that it was only me and my grand mum at home. Apparently the whole gang went to Tesco to get some groceries. It sat down and enjoyed some left over Caribbean cake. I took a nice shower and was in my robe bad choice as the weather was humid. Sharp 7 all eyes and ears were attentive to the TV to listen the follow up of the Tsunami Hit. It made me think that every year end it always have to end with a bang. Either it is factory burn or something else but we always have to end with something… That night we played Cluedo and Rumicub with Kelvin, Mitch, Andrew and Alex. Cluedo was quite fun but not that interesting I think. We played late till night.

No comments: