Thursday, September 01, 2005

Merdeka Day

What does Merdeka Day mean to someone who knows nothing about Independence? To me I know Malaysia got their independence 31 August 1957 what does that do for me. When I think about it, it doesn’t actually mean much to me. A public holiday which I make good use of, meet up friends or just have a good rest in. I don’t think my grandfather would not approve how I celebrate my Independence Day. Growing up as a kid there use to be a time I would wake up early to watch the march past but now I just change to channel 61 and watch Kim Possible safe the day. I don’t think I’m independent anyway. Period.

Sometime I wonder, was in worth it our independence? What would it be like under the imperial rule of British? I think it would have turned out great. Why do I say that? Good example, look at Hong Kong. The place now is so modern that most countries look up to it. Can you imagine what it would be like if Malaysia was still under the British ruling? I’m not saying we aren’t good or we lack behind. I think under the British rule there would be uniformity. Something that I would like to see happen in Malaysia. Equal opportunity given to all but that of course is asking too much. When will we have a PM who is not Malay? I do not like politics as it is a sensitive subject and I would like to play ignorant as it doesn’t affect my life. But sometimes questions like this do pop in to my head. I’m afraid to talk more as what I may type maybe able to get me caught under the ISA act. But please do Ponder what does MERDEKA mean to you?

No comments: