Thursday, March 01, 2007

Diamond in the Ruff

Whoever said, “Diamonds were girl’s best friend” was definitely being ignorant. I too am an ignorant fool I never knew how a diamond comes to the market. I have seen on Discovery channel how the legitimate diamonds are mined and how it reaches the market but after watching Blood Diamond and do a little research of my own I found out 4% of diamonds in the market come from the conflict zone. Hmm you might just say its only 4% what’s the big deal rite. Well if you were to put 4% on monetary values it would be more that USD100 million. Do you know how many guns and grenades you can buy from that much of money?

Watching the movie I knew that kids were used in warfare but I wasn’t aware on how they were took from villagers and brain washed. They were duped to take drugs where their commander’s claim there can withstand bullets and even dodge them. In Africa now there is an estimate of 250,000 and growing no of children soldiers marching on for rebellion parties like RUF.

I doubt the movie will create any dent in the diamond industry but to me I don’t think I would buy any diamonds for that special one or even for myself since it’s my lucky stone. I wont be surprised if our Malaysian market has most of the conflict stones but the largest consumers of diamonds are the Americans. They say when you buy a diamond please get a certificate of authenticity claiming the diamonds are from conflict free zones. You and I know how easy it is to forge one of these certificates. If Malaysia has one of the top-notch security in our bills and still people finds ways to print counterfeit copies of our money what is a measly ol’ certificate.

To the ladies that I love and adore do you really need a diamond to get married or to be spoiled? There are other stones in the market … Feedback please

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.