Monday, December 12, 2005

Opinion: Church Choir


As a fervent Catholic (yes I hear you laughing) I’ve been to many churches and their masses. I believe a good mass is made of a good priest who shares his sermon well with the congregation and the choir who emotionally enrich our souls. We all can name a few good priest or 2 who does that to us, but how many of you can name me a good church choir. In Malaysia the church choir has lost its meaning, their voices do not stand out from the congregation. Tower Records motto is ‘No Music, No Life’ same goes to a mass. If there’s no proper music the congregation is dead. I think these days the church keeps a choir just for the sake of having one.

What do I expect from a choir? Well, I expect to be moved by the choir. I expect my spirits be lifted up. Haven’t you guy’s watched Sister Acts franchises or any black movies that involves church going? And said damm I wished my church choir was that good or at least half that good? There is nothing I can do to make my church choir any good nor am I bothered to do so. I think I’m living in a time where no one really cares a shit and things like choirs aren’t worth it.

No comments: